|"The Snow Performance kit delivers on it's promise and greatly reduces the chance of detonation." - 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords, November 2004
What kind of frequently asked questions would you like to view?
1. What are the benefits of Water/Methanol injection?
1. Greatly reduced EGTs - Decreases of 250 degrees F are common using a 50/50 water/methanol mix. Increased EGTs are an engine killer in today's performance diesel world.
2. Low cost power - Where else can you get 50-100 HP for as low as $549? What other modification does all these things with one system?
3. Greatly increased air charge densities - 3-5 psi boost increases are common with liquid intercooling.
4. Decreased emissions - increased combustion efficiency means less particulate matter and NOX emissions.
5. Fuel economy increase - increase your fuel economy up to 10%-15% (1-3 mpg).
6. Great for towing - more power/cooler EGT's to haul the heaviest loads.
2. Why is Water/Methanol injection so effective on Diesels?
Unlike gasoline engines, the power in a turbo diesel is largely a function of fuel. The problem with continually adding fuel is that you create an over-fueling condition and reach a point where the exhaust gas temperatures become prohibitive (over 1300 degrees F). A 50/50 water/methanol mix will decrease EGT's approximately 200-300 degrees F while increasing power 50-100HP.
Power is increased through:
• Air charge cooling - Water/methanol usually lowers air charge temps over 200 degrees F. Low air temps makes denser air charge which provides more molecules of oxygen for combustion.
• Combustion conditioning - the methanol acts as a combustion catalyst as well as a cooling agent. Water vaporization inside the combustion chamber increases torque and power output through "the steam" effect.
Where else can you get this kind of power with cooler EGT's, reduced emissions, and more fuel economy?
3. Is this technology new with Turbo Diesel?
Water/methanol injection has been used extensively for years in high performance truck/tractor pullers. With the elevated boost levels required for peak power, water/methanol is a common means of cooling the intake charge and reducing exhaust gas temps. Also, truckers have used water injection for years to increase fuel mileage.
4. What power gains can I expect?
In diesel applications, no additional tuning is needed to maximize the benefits.
• A cooler, denser air charge is now delivered to the combustion chamber – this allows more diesel fuel to be burned than before.
• The methanol in the injection fluid burns as a fuel. This directly impacts power production.
• The water vaporizes in the combustion chamber, creating rapidly expanding steam which pushes down on the piston to create additional torque.
The extra power produced depends heavily on the concentration of methanol used and the volume injected. Typical power gains in 5.9L and larger applications with a 50% mixture of water/methanol are 50-100 WHP and a 100-150ft lb-ft increase in torque.
5. Can the Snow Performance system improve my fuel economy?
Yes. The MPG-MAX™ systems are designed to do just that. Both the diesel and gasoline MPG-MAX™ systems are specifically designed to inject a very small and precise amount of water/methanol under normal driving conditions such as accelerating away from a stop light or driving up a slight grade.
• Diesel MPG-MAX systems benefit from the methanol directly due to the fact that it combusts as a fuel, allowing for brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) to be reduced. Typical gains are 10-15% better fuel economy or 1-3 MPG. In some cases and in independent testing, gains of up to 30% have been observed in diesels.
6. What fluid can I use in my system?
• Boost Juice®: This is the best fluid to use and is Snow Performance’s 49% methanol, 51% water mixture that can be shipped to your door or picked up at a local dealer. (If you are using your washer reservoir as the injection tank, Boost Juice® is a great washer fluid – works as a de-icer!)
• Windshield Washer fluid: Only if it is blue in color and rated for -20 deg F. This means it is safe to use and made of about 30% methanol, 70% water. If it is another color or another temperature rating, do not use it. It should NOT have any extra additives or features.
• You can “spike” your Blue -20 Washer fluid to a 50% mixture by adding 3 12OZ yellow bottles of Heet® gas-line-antifreeze to every gallon of washer fluid.
• Mix your own: You just need to make sure the methanol is “neat” and contains no lubricants or other additives. We recommend a 50% mixture.
• Ethanol: It is not as good as methanol, but it can be used as a 2nd best option if you can’t find methanol. It can also be mixed with water up to 50%.
• Do NOT use E85 or any other fluid with gasoline mixed in. It will destroy the fluid delivery part of your Boost Cooler® and instantly void the warranty.
• Isopropyl/Denatured Alcohols: These can be used, but are not as good as methanol. They have a lower BTU, or energy content, and a lower latent heat of vaporization (fancy way of saying how much heat they absorb) as well as a lower octane rating compared to methanol.
7. Why Methanol?
Methanol is an extremely clean fuel with an excellent cost/benefit ratio. Its high latent heat of vaporization also makes it an excellent air charge cooler which means a denser mixture and more horsepower. Because of these characteristics, it is a better fuel than ethanol although it will work in a pinch. Isopropanol has different combustion characteristics and should not be used. Methanol is extremely toxic and should be handled with rubber gloves in well ventilated areas only. Care should be taken to avoid skin contact.
8. Is Methanol Safe for my Diesel?
Methanol makes an excellent adjunct fuel. Because it has a cetane number of 4CN, it makes safe power without spiking cylinder pressures.
"combustion of neat methanol alone results in a cetane number of 4CN with reduced PM (smoke) and NOx. " see SAE Technical Paper #940326 "Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Minimally Processed Methanol in a Diesel Engine"
9. Where can I purchase methanol?
• Snow Performance sells a 51/49 water/methanol mix as Boost Juice™ (see products). If this is used exclusively, Snow Performance can lifetime warranty a system so long as the free registration card is sent in soon after purchase.
• Methanol can generally be purchased where racing fuels are sold. Also, most gas line dryers like "Heet" are simply methanol. Suppliers of industrial chemicals can also supply methanol for a very reasonable price.
• -20 degree F rated, blue windsheild washer fluid is acceptable for use as well, and is availble at most service stations. Although some fluids rated to under -20 degrees F contain glycol and other copolymers, most windshield washer fluids are up to 40% methanol. Try to find one that displays "contains methanol" on the label and is good to -20 degrees F, with no additives or special ingredients and is blue in color.
• Methanol can be purchased on the web at www.worldwideracingfuels.com and www.hiperfuels.com.
• Additionally, many sprint car drivers and circle track and drag racers use methanol as a primary fuel. They often have methanol on hand and will even sell methanol that has been un-sealed for a long time at a very low price. Just be sure that the methanol has NO additives or lubricants (such as top lube), as they are not needed and can damage the pump.
10. Can I use pure methanol?
While all components of Snow Performance systems are designed to be able to handle pure methanol, it is not recommended for a number of reasons.
• Safety: Pure methanol is easy to ignite with a low 140F degree flash-point and burns with an invisible flame.
• Performance: Water absorbs more much heat than methanol in the intake and inside the combustion chamber. However, water cannot be flash-ignited, so volume-for-volume, it is more prone to cause combustion quench. SAE studies on the effect of methanol as a fuel in diesel reveals a cetane of 4CN (increased ignition delay) as well as increased area under the Torque curve during the power stroke (as piston is going down after TDC) resulting in safe power (not from greatly increased cylinder pressure).
11. How much range will a tank of Water/Methanol provide?
Diesels use more fluid than a gasoline application, and are in heavier load states more often.
• On a Stage 1 or 2 system, the factory washer fluid tank on a pickup truck (usually 1-1.5 gallons) will last a tank of fuel. This is for normal mixed driving with no towing and some aggressive acceleration.
• On a Stage 3 MPG MAX™ used for towing, the 7 gallon reservoir (included with the MPG MAX™) usually lasts 1-2 tanks of diesel fuel. In an un-loaded state, the 7 gallon reservoir will provide about 1000 miles of range. When towing, the 7 gallon usually lasts about 500 miles.
• A standard Stage 3 system will use about 1 gallon of liquid for every 75 miles of towing. Many Stage 3 users take advantage of their stock washer tank or the special universal fitting included in Stage 3 Snow Performance diesel kits with a custom large capacity tank. Be sure to use a solenoid upgrade for any reservoir mounted in the rear of the vehicle.
12. Where can I mount my reservoir and pump?
The pump needs to be within about 24” (hose length) of the reservoir, and as low or lower than the base of the reservoir. It is a “pusher” pump, not a “puller” pump.
• Engine bay: In the engine bay, the reservoir and pump can be placed almost anywhere, as long as they are not very close to exhaust heat, or in the path of debris from the road. Just be sure that the pump is at the same level or below the reservoir, and that the reservoir is not located higher than the nozzle. If the reservoir has to be higher than the nozzle, a solenoid upgrade (part number 40060) is needed to prevent gravity-feed.
• Trunk/Bed mounting: This is fine, but again, the pump needs to be close to the reservoir and gravity fed. Lengths of 20-25 ft of tubing to the nozzle are fine. We always recommend a #40060 solenoid for rear-reservoir mounting. A solenoid is included with the #40016 7 gallon reservoir.
13. I dont have any room in the engine bay for a reservoir, what are my options?
• Use the factory washer-fluid tank. A bulkhead fitting (PN# 40080) allows the use of the factory washer fluid tank as a reservoir. 50/50 water/methanol makes an excellent washer fluid. Stage one and two kits often utilize this strategy.
• Bed mounted reservoir. The reservoir and pump can be mounted in the back of the vehicle. 7 gallon reservoir upgrades (PN# 40016) feature extra tubing, a solenoid upgrade, and mounting brackets for bed mounting. We always recommend a #40060 solenoid for rear mounting with any reservoir/vehicle.
14. Where can I mount the nozzle?
• The best placement of the nozzles is in the area around the inlet to the intake manifold or virtually anywhere on the pipe leading from the intercooler to the intake manifold. The nozzles can be placed at any position on the tube, so long as they are pointing at a 90 degree angle to the direction of airflow. The nozzles can be placed in a series or right next to each other. There is enough heat and velocity and flow through the pipe under boost to absorb the water/methanol regardless of the nozzle positions relative to each other.
• Some intakes are pre-drilled for Snow Performance nozzles. As long as all of the airflow into the engine will pass by all nozzles used in the system, even distribution and cooling will result.
• Placement before the intercooler or turbo(s) is not recommended. Cooling is not improved. Never mount an injector nozzle before a turbocharger compressor. Sending fluid through the compressor wheel that spins anywhere from 50,000rpm to 250,000rpm can erode the leading edges of the fine aluminum. Studies performed by SAAB, concluded that pre-turbo injection will over time cause cavitation on the turbo wheel leading edges.
15. Is it better to inject the water/methanol solution before or after the Turbo? Where is the best place for a few specific trucks? (Duramax, 7.3L Power Stroke, 5.9L common rail).
There has been more discussion recently (especially on the internet) advocating pre-turbo injection. Most of the debate centers around increased atomization. You can probably get away with this in the short run if you inject a small quantity of finely atomized fluid (less than 10micron droplet) with a very low injection duty cycle. Also if you don’t care about turbo longevity (like some competition diesels where the turbo is replaced frequently) or you have a system that doesn’t atomize correctly and need the turbulence to help (low injection pressure and nozzles that aren’t designed to atomize correctly). In diesels, especially where injection quantities are large in relation to fuel and where there is benefit to injecting at low/mid engine load states on up, it becomes a question of when compressor wheel damage becomes too severe as pre-turbo injection has been proven to cause compressor wheel erosion. The amount of erosion depends on the quantity injected, the size of the droplet injected, the speed of the compressor wheel, and the injection duty cycle (what % of total engine operation is water-methanol injected). Also, the argument of reduction in compressor work per unit flow and the increase in mass flow rate doesn’t hold water in a properly sized modern non-wastegated turbo.
16. What is the product warranty?
Snow Performance's commitment to providing the best water/methanol systems is reflected in the components and construction of all Snow Performance Boost Cooler® kits.
A lifetime warranty for injection systems is available with exclusive use of Boost Juice™ injection fluid. The standard warranty is 1-year from purchase and covers all Snow Performance systems purchased on or after June 1,2009 manufactured by Snow Performance, Inc. (Snow). This warranty terminates when the original retail purchaser sells or otherwise transfers the product to any other person.
Snow Performance, Inc. warrants that the Product shall conform to and perform in accordance with published technical specifications and shall be free of defects in materials and workmanship for 90-days providing:
1. You are the original purchaser and provide proof of purchase.
2. For 1-year warranty, the Warranty Card that came with system (not applicable to separate parts purchases) is returned to Snow within 45-days of purchase. If valid warranty card not on file with Snow, the standard 90 day warranty applies from date of purchase.
3. For Lifetime warranty, , the Warranty Card that came with system (not applicable to separate parts purchases) is returned to Snow within 45-days of purchase and Boost Juice® injection fluid is used exclusively.*
3. An RMA # has been attained and is displayed on package containing returned part.
4. Parts Warranty ~ 90 day warranty on parts purchased separately if used in conjunction with a Snow System. No warranty implied if used with a non-Snow part/system.
Subject to Snow’s inspection of the product, Snow will remedy defects in materials and/or workmanship by repairing or replacing, at Snow’s option, the defective product without charge for parts or labor, subject to the limitations and exclusions described in this warranty.
This warranty does not cover problems caused by normal wear and tear including aesthetic oxidation of surfaces, accidents, unlawful vehicle operation, or modifications or repairs to product not performed or authorized by Snow. This includes any product that is disassembled or taken apart for any reason.
* Boost Juice® usage evidenced by invoices/ receipts.
In addition, this warranty does not cover problems resulting from conditions beyond Snow’s control including, but not limited to, theft, misuse, overloading, or failure to assemble,
mount or use the product in accordance with Snow’s written instructions or guidelines included with the product or made available to the original retail purchaser.
In the event of failure, Snow will repair or replace the part at Snow's sole discretion. Failures resulting from misapplication or misuse of the Product, failure to adhere to any
specifications or instructions, or failure resulting from neglect, abuse, accidents, or act of
nature are not covered under this warranty.
Warranty service may be obtained by calling 719-633-3811, getting an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization), delivering the part to Snow along with proof of purchase. Customer agrees to insure the Product or assume the risk of loss or damage in transit, to prepay shipping charges to Snow, and to use the original shipping container or equivalent. Shipping for Warranty replacement parts shipped outside the continental US will be charged to customer.
Products returned due to damage or misuse and Products retested with no problem found will be returned to customer at customer’s expense. A credit card number must be provided in order to obtain an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number prior to returning Product.
17. Is there a disclaimer?
Do not use this product until you have carefully read the following agreement. This sets forth the terms and conditions for the use of this product. The installation of this product indicates that the BUYER has read and understands this agreement and accepts it terms and conditions.
Performance products by their nature are designed to increase horsepower and performance not engineered into the original vehicle and the increased stress could result in damage to related systems. This is a high performance product - use at your own risk.
Snow Performance Inc., its agents, employees, or owners shall not be under any liability in contract or otherwise whether or not resulting from our negligence or contents of information supplied for any damage or loss resulting from such information.
The BUYER is responsible to fully understand the capability and limitations of his/her vehicle according to manufacturer specifications and agrees to hold the SELLER harmless from any damage resulting from failure to adhere to such specifications.
The SELLER disclaims any warranty and expressly disclaims any liability for personal injury or damages. The BUYER acknowledges and agrees that the disclaimer of any liability for personal injury is a material term for this agreement and the BUYER agrees to indemnify the SELLER and to hold the SELLER harmless from any claim related to the item of the equipment purchsed. Under no circumstances will the SELLER be liable for any damages or expenses by reason of use or sale of any such equipment.
The BUYER is responsible to obey all applicable federal, state, and local laws, statutes, and ordinances when operating his/her vehicle, and the BUYER agrees to hold the SELLER harmless from any violation thereof.
The SELLER assumes no liability regarding the improper installation or misapplication of its products. It is the installer's responsibility to check for proper installation and if in doubt, contact the manufacturer.
18. What are the Snow Performance company policies?
All prices are subject to change without prior notice. All parts herein will be invoiced at the current prices in effect at time of ordering.
All Colorado residents must pay Colorado state sales tax. Retail establishments with a signed Colorado State Resale Card on file with us are exempt.
Shipping and Handling
Purchases totaling $50 and less have a standard flat rate S&H charge of $12.95. Purchases totaling $50-200 have a standard flat rate S&H charge of $19.95. Purchases totalling over $200 have S&H of $19.95. S&H on a regular system is $19.95 per kit (TOW-MAX™ and MPG_MAX™ $29.95). Boost Juice shipping is charged per case and costs $19.95 each. International shipping is offered on a quoted basis. Expedited shipping, to include Next Day, 2 Day, and 3 Day delivery, are offered at an additional cost. For orders with more than 2 kits, contact a sales representative for a specific quote.
Damage to the product caused by shipping or broken packages must be noted at the time of receipt and reported immediately to the shipper. Assistance will be given where necessary to help in settlement with the carrier.
Claims and Returns
Receiving incorrect or missing components must be reported within 30 days of receipt. Replacement components will be delivered using Ground shipping. Expedited shipping is available at an additional cost.
Unauthorized returns of any type will not be accepted. An authorization must be issued before any merchandise is returned. Customer is responsible for shipping costs to return the item. All returned items are subject to a 15% testing and restocking fee. Used items can not be returned. Handling charges and additional expedited shipping charges can not be refunded. Refunds are issued by check unless otherwise approved.
"We respect and are committed to protecting your privacy. We may collect personally identifiable information when you visit our site. We also automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser including your IP Address, cookie, information and
page(s)you visited. We will not sell your personally identifiable information to anyone."
"Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transaction. It encrypts all of your personal information including credit card number, name and address, so tht it cannot be read over the internet."
19. How does the system affect my warranty?
The Federal Moss-Magnussen act requires that a dealer prove that a modification caused a failure before denying warranty service. Becuase Boost Coolers reduce peak temperatures and reduce carbon deposits, we are actually reducing stress on the engine in many ways.